Published 7:10 pm Tuesday, April 27, 2010
The Prentiss Headlight is a hometown weekly newspaper staffed by local people who are dedicated to serving the people of Jefferson Davis County.
A Long History…
Two months after the formation of Jefferson Davis County in 1906, The Prentiss Headlight was born. Prior to that year, the area that now comprises the county was part of Covington and Lawrence Counties.
The first meeting of the appointed Board of Supervisors was held in June 1906 followed by an election and the first elected board meeting in August 1906. That same week the first edition of The Prentiss Headlight rolled off the press.
The recording of the history of Jefferson Davis County including births, deaths, weddings and local achievements has been remained a constant priority for the paper.
Design and layout of the paper changed throughout the years. The price of an annual subscription increased from $1.00 in 1906 to the present $30. The banner on the front page masthead has carried several alternate logos, but the central one, “Dedicated to Serving the People of Jefferson Davis County,” has never changed.
Today, The Headlight is owned by Brookhaven Newsmedia, LLC, which also publishes The Shopping Bag, and is a part of the Boone Newspapers Inc. publishing group.
The Prentiss Headlight and its staff have garnered numerous awards for writing, photography, layout and design, and we continue to report our community’s history each and every day — informing and entertaining thousands each week in print and now online.